Create a travel file for your upcoming summer vacation. Things to include in the file might be:
- Your itinerary
- Plane tickets, e-tickets and board passes
- Important phone numbers and addresses
- Hotel, Cruise, Car Rental or Camping Information
- Activity and sightseeing information
- Copies of passports driver’s licenses or other identification
- Check lists of what to bring and what to do before leaving
If you’re not used to traveling by air, one of the best things you can to do make your trip start and end smoothly is to be organized and prepared. Even the TSA recommends it on their posted signs. Stash some extra quart size Ziploc bags with your carry-on luggage – just in case you forget to pack your liquids in them before you leave; otherwise you could be sorry when you get to the security check and have to toss it in the garbage.
Laura Leist, CPO, is a speaker, productivity consultant and the best-selling author of Eliminate Chaos: The 10-Step Process to Organize Your Home & Life. She founded the Seattle-based organizing services firm Eliminate Chaos in 2000 and is the President of NAPO (National Association of Professional Organizers). Laura is a frequent guest on TV, radio and has been published in several national newspapers and magazines.
Copyright Eliminate Chaos, reprinted with permission